Other names: Pitaya, Pitahaya, Dragon fruit, strawberry pear
Homeland: South America and Asia
It has two types as white and red. This distinction is made according to the color of inner part of the fruit, not its outer part. When the fruit is cut, sometimes it has white color and sometimes it has red color. The fruit contains small seeds that look like sesame. It is not necessary to separate the seeds while you are eating the fruit; it is consumed with its seeds, just like consuming a kiwi.
Benefits of Dragon Fruit (Pitaya)
- It protects eye health with its nutrients and minerals
- It is rich in vitamin C, B1, B2, B3, iron, calcium and phosphor.
- It is highly beneficial for type 2 diabetes patients.
- It is extremely rich in vitamin C, fiber, calcium and potassium.
- Pitaya fruit contains antioxidants and high amount of soluble fiber.
- It keeps moisture balance of body under control.
- It strengthens bones with its calcium content.
- It balances high blood pressure.
- Studies revealed that pitaya fruit detoxes body by inhibiting the formation of free radicals.
- It is good for small intestine, lung and kidney diseases.
- It is especially effective on uterus and testicle related problems.
- It lowers blood pressure.
- It strengthens bones and teeth.
- It enhances healthy blood cell and tissue production.
- It strengthens immune system.
- It heals wounds and bruises fast.
There are proven results showing that it is effective to prevent respiratory problems.
Just like other red fruits, pitaya protects against cancer and cardiac diseases with its lycopene content.
How to consume Dragon Fruit-Pitaya?
You can consume it as a fresh fruit or you can add it into your salads, deserts, meals and cocktails. It can create a nice appearance with its decorative look.
Don’t add sugar while you are consuming this fruit. Otherwise, diabetes related problems may occur.
Storage Conditions: It should be stored at 7 ºC and 80-90% humidity
Nutritional Values: Vitamin C, potassium, calcium, magnesium, vitamin B1, vitamin B2, vitamin B3, iron, phosphor and fiber.
This post was published on September 14, 2019 6:55 pm