Gluten free is either a trend or it relates to diseases or illnesses. Either way, it has become a popular theme in choosing the types of foods to be eaten. Gluten free can help you gain energy and lose weight, but it all depends on how you go gluten free. Substituting traditional food items for gluten free food products, may only introduce higher amounts of fats and sugars, plus they may be lower in nutrients. However, if you must go on a wheat free diet, there are many good dietary options, such as delicious blueberry muffin recipes:
Gluten Free Flour Muffin Recipe
- Whisk 1 cup of gluten free all purpose flour with ½ cup of sugar, 2 tsp. Backing powder, and 1/8 tsp of nutmeg and a pinch of salt together.
- In a separate bowl, mix 1 cup of fresh or frozen blueberries with 2 tbs. of flour.
- In a separate bowl, beat 1 large egg with 1/3 cup of milk into the first flour mixture.
- Stir in 2 tbs melted butter, then fold in the blueberry mixture.
- Pour the batter into your muffin cups and place them in a heated over of 350° until a toothpick comes out clean.
The main star of this muffin receipe is the “gluten free – all purpose flour.” Generally, gluten free flour contains a blending of products that replaces wheat. Blending can be in the form of white rice, whole grain rice flours, tapioca starch, potato starch, fava bean flour, and sometimes xanthan gum or guar gum products. Gluten free flour does not have any after taste effects.
Almond Gluten Free Flour Blueberry Muffin
1 1/3 cup of almond gluten free flour or meal;
1 cup sorghum flour or certified oat flour
1/2 cup tapioca starch or potato starch
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
2 teaspoons Bourbon vanilla extract
1 1/3 cups organic light brown sugar
2 tablespoons light olive oil
1 tablespoon gluten free egg replacer and whisk with 1/4 cup warm water until it is frothy
1/2 cup warm water or more as needed
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients together until it thickens.
- Add 1 pint of fresh blueberries.
- Stir briefly, then place into lined muffin tins.
Bake in a preheated oven for 25 minutes or until a toothpick emerges clean. Set the muffin aside to cool, because baked goods with almond flour must sit due to the flour's very delicate nature.
The gluten free egg replacer in this recipe is free of dairy, yeast, egg, soy, nut, low/no sodium. General egg replacer ingredients may include, potato starch,tapioca flour, and leavening ingredients. Also, the gluten free almond flour in this recipe is very high in protein and finely ground almonds. Blanched almond flour or meal, is much better for baking and cooking.
This post was published on April 1, 2015 8:42 pm